Saturday, January 5, 2013

Looking Back



Sophomore Year First Semester


For this sophomore year, I have to admit that I had no clue to where my classes where or if I had first, second, or third lunch. I didn’t even know that we have more than one lunch! But I was happy for my new journey here at the high school; however I knew my school life would restart all over again. It was already difficult for me without knowing much people in middle school, but not impossible to meet new ones at the high school the next year. Anyways some of the challenges I confronted, and I’m still confronting are my first to classes, Enriched Chemistry and AP World History. My Chemistry class because my mind tricks me by playing me memory games, however in my History class is the nominalization that is keeping me down on the reading or the way questions are being worded on my tests or quizzes . But honestly I need to admit that I caused myself the famous “snowball effect” by not acting probably right at the second and find myself or at least let myself out of it. Yet I never realize it, until I got really sick and I started to reflect on how I had let down myself theme and my grades. Looking back that’s the first of so many mistakes I fully believe that I committed. My mom always tells me that if you ever heard someone admit their own mistakes on life; they’re people who know what they most need to fix before their final day comes. Or I often have her tell me mejor ser conocido como tonto por un rato que tonto por toda tu vida, which translate to better be known for idiot than be known it for your whole life.  

Although most of the semester was challenges and adapting to another new system, again, we went to our first and hopefully not the last ESL field trip! We went Ice Skating at the Depot Rink! For AVID we went to River Falls Wisconsin to visit their college, and Hamline in Saint Paul! I had some victories too such as being part of this blog, meeting the amazing Schneider; not missing the bus on the first day of school, being able to set up a lab all by myself without having another chemical decanted on my nails; overcoming personal challenges plus fears, and finally but definitely not least and yet the most important of all of them was to have my mom, and brother with me when I needed them the most. Before I wind up this looking back let me give you guys an advice don’t let your mind tell you, you can. Because we’re all capable of doing anything with set off for. Maybe not in the way you thought you were going to accomplish it, but doesn’t matter how you will get there, the deal is to get there.

























9 comments:

  1. I really like how you use words and make nice paragraphs.
    I really love the pictures too, especially the Facebook one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really brave and smart Secia, because you are taking Enriched Chemistry and Ap World History. I really like your pictures. It's really creative. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how are using things that we learned in the class and also using high level vocabulary. There are some spelling and grammar that I notice when I was reading your blog. So it will be great if you go back and check again because I know that you can correct them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Secia,I am happy to get to know you and having you in our ESL family this year. Enriched Chemistry and AP World History? Well, this two class for a ESL student is hard, no is ten time harder. However, I believing you can do great in this two elephant class in the next semester. I love you Facebook picture and I hope you pray every night before bed. It is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this reflection, Secia. I appreciate how you included both your challenges and successes. Of course I also love how you incorporated the word "nominalization" into your blog as well. I take this as a little personal shout out! Great words of wisdom at the end. We all need this positivity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice reflection about your success and struggles in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job, its nice how you shared your sucess challenges in school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading this, I have learned more about you Secia. It is nice that you challenge yourself on a new place like High School. You are right you can do everything and jump everything that comes in your way if your family supports you and are always by your side.

    ReplyDelete