Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Adventures of Carlito - Vocabulary

Studying vocabulary isn't easy specially if you need to learn more than twenty words. What I do to study is find clues in the vocabulary or in the definition. I become familiar with the spelling of the word this helps me imprint it on my mind as I write the word, and spelling it. Also I say it out loud and try putting it in a sentence this helps me memorize the word more easily. Another strategy when I study is to find a nice, quiet place to work without people or distractions around me. I also read over the definitions of the word several times and write the definition as well. Using quizlet is one of the things I do also to help me prepare. I play the games and take the practice quizzes, this make studying a lot easier and less boring. I hope my strategies help you study for your next vocabulary test.

Here are some words from the new "Adventures of Carlito"

Diminutive -
Adjective:
Extremely or unusually small.
Noun:
A smaller or shorter thing, in particular.
Sentence:
The 3-year-old made a diminutive figure standing between the other older and taller finalists.



Lachrymose-
Adjective:
  1. Tearful or given to weeping.
  2. Inducing tears; sad: "a lachrymose children's classic".
Synonyms:tearful - lachrymatory
Sentence : 
The lachrymose child cried all day about how he missed his mother.


Obsequious-
Adjective:
Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.
Synonyms:servile - subservient - slavish - menial - fawning
Sentence :
The princess had obsequious servants who showed her with attention.


Accommodating-

Adjective:
Fitting in with someone's wishes or demands in a helpful way.
Synonyms:obliging - complaisant - compliant
Sentence: 
The teacher often accommodate the demands of the student to extend an assignment's due date.


Masticating-
Verb:
Chew (food).
Sentence :
I was poised on a bench masticating on some nachos.


6 comments:

  1. I really like how you used the colors and the styles of showing the words.
    And nice way of studying, they made some clues for me to how to study.

    But I think there's no example sentences of the words.
    Is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rally like how you put really light colors for the vocab. i also like that you wrote the synonyms of the words. You did a good job, but i think you should at least write a sentence for each words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you colored the words, adjectives and the nouns. This is really helpful not just to me, but alot of others as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you explain to us the forms of learning the Pre-Ap English vocabaulary. These techniques of studying will help us a lot for the next vocabulary test. I also like how u colored every word and put a synonym to each word so we can have a good understanding of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog because I have to study these vocabulary and I don't know the meaning but now your are explaining the words in a very understandable ways. So now I don't have to go find the meaning of these words I can just study from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! I liked your blog because you colored the words which I think they are helpful when we highlight words especially vocabulary cuz it will helP when you take test it depends On the person.

    ReplyDelete