Wednesday, May 22, 2013

coming to America

Significant Event    
 
 
   
    The most significant event in my life occurred when I came to America. It was my first day of kindergarten .I arrived in, . My family brought me to the United States from Kurdistan. I don't remember much because I was so young. What I do remember is when we arrived to America. We moved from Kurdistan, a city located in North Iraq. My life in America was very difficult because I faced so many struggles, such as my first day of  school. I struggled during school because I did not know how to speak English. This created a very uncomfortable situation for me at school because I did not know how to speak with my classmates. My parents on the other hand, did not know how to speak English either. which made life even more difficult. Where I'm from,we speak a language called Kurdish.Its nothing like English so, I felt isolated. It was difficult to learn and speak another language from my classmates, separated by a language gap. All of the students I was around could speak English and communicate very well. I felt nervous everyday on my way to school. Every day on the bus I thought,"This is a new world to me" My parents pushed their children to be successful through education. Therefore education was very important to me. I  decided I was not ready to start school. I stopped going because the students were disrespectful and behaved horribly towards teachers and foreign students.
 
When I first stepped into kindergarten, I was already aware that some of the students would be racist I had a feeling that students would react in a negative way when they met me. Every time they walked up to me they made fun of me. As life went by, I decided it was another chance to start class.When i entered my kindergarten classroom the second time, I had my dad with me. he wanted to be sure that I would get to class safely. Right after my dad left, tears started falling down from both my right and left eyes. I did not want my dad to leave, so I grabbed him as tight as I could.With tears I told him"They will eat me". I knew the students from my classroom would not actually eat me,but I still had the feeling the kids would hate me at the the same time imginng not speaking English at all and trying to participate at school. The difficulty Immigrants face, coming to the united states, not able to speak English. This event taught me never to racist and help students who migrated from another country. That is why this was a really important memory to share with you guys.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know that you had such a hard time when you first came to America. After I read your post, I learned that it's really important to be nice to new students, whether that person is foreign or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes,I did really had an hard time when I came to the US especially struggling with school and on the other hand that my parents didnt speak english too which made that more complicated. And yes It is importaant to be nice to to forign students because its hard for them and now I have an lesson from my suituation and I think you d too.

      Delete
  2. It was difficult for you that came to U.S and scared to go to school because the racism. I feel so lucky that I did not have a horrible experiment. I hope you can stay strong and help other new students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It is hard when you move to a country where you don't know the language very well. I really enjoyed reading your story, is kind of sad. Even though you struggle in kindergarten, I think you learned something from it. Nice job Sheraz.
    Make sure you go back to your blog and fix some mistakes you have. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Sheraz, it is difficult to learn a new language and to communicate with others. I like how you express your feelings when your dad was going to leave you at school. It is cute but at the same time sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheraz, I liked your article about moving to the U.S. It was very moving. I know what you went through, because I myself is an immigrant and have experienced it. I really appreciate that you learned from these hardships and will not treat anybody the same way you were treated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a story. Thanks so much for sharing your challenges of going to school in a new country. I'm sorry the students were so awful. Your statement to your dad, "They are going to eat me," really shows the raw emotion you were feeling. I'm glad you are still progressing today and have learned from the lessons of your childhood.

    ReplyDelete