Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Vocabulary Wednesday: Teacher Demo


The three words I want to explore are tinker, curate, and multiple meaning word.

Tinker Verb – To repair adjust or experiment

When I was little, I liked to tinker with Tinker Toys.

CurateVerb - to pull together, sift through, and select for presentation, as music or Web site content

Note that this word has several meanings, but the one I’m most interested in is #4 on this dictionary reference.

I hope the information and topics that I curate on this blog are interesting to my students and to the general public.

Multiple Meaning Word – Noun/ Part of Speech

According to our text, a multiple-meaning word is, “words that mean more than one thing.” (153). Unfortunately, our book does not into detail with the information we really need about multiple meaning words (MMW). MMW is a general terms for any words that are spelled and/or sound the same but have different meanings.

Forms of  MMW are:

Homonym: Words that share the SAME SOUND and SAME SPELLING but have different meanings

          Examples: tongue & tongue ::: wave & wave ::: duck & duck

Here’s the kicker: ALL HOMONYMS ARE HOMOPHONES!

Homophone: A Homograph is a word that may be spelled the SAME, sounds the SAME, but has a different meaning.

Examples: won & one ::: their & there ::: too, to, two

Homograph: Words that MAY or MAY NOT sound alike, have the SAME spellings, but different meanings.

          Examples: read & read ::: lead & Lead

My students created A to Z Taxonomies of multiple meaning words yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. I like These words because they are useful for us, if we are writing an essay or a paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the words that are in purple because if we are writing a poem it will help us a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I little I liked to curate the tinker toys too. I learned three new multiple meaning words today: Homonym, Homophone and Homograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 3 forms of the multiple meaning word was interesting, and I would like to use this new word, curate from now.

    ReplyDelete