Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Infographic Tuesday: Who we are: Teacher Demo

As an English Langauage teacher, I think it's important to point out that all of the wonderful langauges my students were born speaking are often far more common than English. Currently, I have speakers of Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Kurdish, Somali, Chinese, Tibetan and Arabic in my classes. The students often encounter the stigma that comes with having an accent or sounding 'non-native-like." People are not pausing to appreciated the complex and rich linguistic and cultural history each person brings.

Almost every new student in our EL program speaks two or more languages. This is a huge asset to education and society. I am proud of the students I teach and I think their ability to speak multiple languages is an amazing asset that will serve them well in the days, weeks, and years to come.

English may be considered "The World Language" to some, but in my class and in our school it is simply the language of the majority. Stepping into a non-English speaking country is when a monolingual English speaker gets a dose of reality that we are truly in the minority.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happeniess is a choice, you don't need to speak english to order be success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think talking with a person from a different country is very cool.
    I really want to meet more new people from other different countries.

    ReplyDelete