Thursday, February 14, 2013

Miles Davis


 History of Miles Davis

     Miles Davis was a son of a wealthy dental surgeon and a music teacher. Miles Davis was born on May 26, 1926 in Alton, Illinois. Miles’s father introduces him to the trumpet at age 13. He quickly advanced a talent by having a private tutor of Elwood Buchanan. Elwood Buchanan was a friend of his father who directed a music school. Buchanan played the trumpet without vibrato, which was a opposing to the common style used by trumpeters such as Louis Armstrong, and which would come to influence and help improve to Miles Davis. 
     Miles played professionally while in high school. At the age of 17, the famous Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker invited him to join them on stage when they needed a trumpet player because one of his band mates was sick. In 1944, Miles left Illinois to New York, where he joined the Institute of Musical Art (Julliard). While attending school, Miles look for Charlie Parker, and once he joined with him, Miles began to play at Harlem nightclubs. 
In 1945, Miles decided to drop out of Julliard with the permission of his father and become a full-time jazz musician.In 1949, Davis formed a nine-piece band with uncommon additions, such as the French horn, trombone and tuba.

In 1990, Miles received the Lifetime Achievement Grammy for his figure of work. In 1991, he played with Quincy Jones at the Montreux Jazz Festival.

Later in that same year, on September 21, 1991, that Davis would accede to pneumonia and respiratory failure and die at the age of 65. He was considered one of the top musicians of his era and he was an influence of Jazz. 















I really like the beat of this song and how he is playing the trumpet.

12 comments:

  1. I am learning more about Miles Davis with you, Josselyn. Thanks!! You are mentioning other great trumpeters - Louis Armstrong (we'll listen to his super-gravely voice at school) and Dizzy Gillespie ( have you ever seen his cheeks during a performance? ) who's trumpets don't play - they sing. Wouldn't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting man !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this jazz song!! It's so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Miles Davis, his song are very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan for jazz music but Miles Davis is an amazing trumpet player. Your blog really inform me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have good information about Miles Davis and your also talking about other people that has played the trumpet. I'm not a fan of jazz also but I like the beat.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you are talking about other trumpeters. He must be a good trumpeter to be an influence by Jazz song.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow jossy i like this because we were study about miles divas in U.S. history he was very important.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Miles Davis too! You gave a lot of great details about his life. Do you like listening to jazz? Will the music of Miles Davis make it onto your IPOD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listen jazz song before, but the song I put on my blog I really like it because is slow and relaxing. Probably Miles Davis music will go in my phone, so I can listen to it when I am tired.

      Delete